Welcome to our journey as a family, who have no biological relation to each other, but who seek to follow God's will together.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy Adoption Day Chunk-A


One year ago today we finalized Chunk-A's adoption. I remember waiting and praying for Chunk-A with all of my might. 2007 started out as a hard year, I was so frustrated that we still did not have a home study done for a domestic adoption (a story for another day). Computer geek was not suppose to get out of the Air Force until September and between jobs we were going to take a trip to Disney, hopefully as a family of four. But then the Air Force made him get out in the spring and he would not have enough leave for a trip and adoption in a new job. I knew we were meant to have another boy for our family, a brother for T-Monster but did not understand why we kept having road blocks everywhere we turned.

We were final matched with a child in July and drove across several states to meet the birth mom and to be there for the birth, only to have the adoption to fall through. I was heart broken for our family and for T-monster. He was now over 3 years old and my hopes for brothers close in age were fading away. Boy did God teach me a good lesson. The child I had been praying for was already born and waiting for us in FL.

In September we received an email from one of the referral agencies we had signed up with that they had a 10 month old in foster care in FL ready for adoption. I have never responded to an email so quickly. It was a unusual situation, the child was in foster care and the birth mom wanted to release him for private adoption (they can do this in FL). The email said he was 10 months old, but the birthday they gave would have made him about 7 months old. So when the lawyer called about him she told me his birthday 11-7, and I knew that his was the child I had prayed for for over a year and had actually stopped praying for him several months earlier.

See a good friend of mine had a child born 11-11 of the same year and when she first got pregnant I had prayed for a child the same age, as she already had a daughter 3 days older than T-Monster, and I thought if we adopted another child the same age as her second child we would continue to stay close.

In the spring of 2006 had prayed for my second child to be close to my friends unborn child in age, be a good sleeper and eater, (neither of these T-Monster does well). Chunk-A has been a good sleeper and eater from day one, and three days older than my friends second child. Not to mention that he also sent us to FL for Chuck-A which meant that we got to go to Disney world. We picked up Chunk-A and headed to Disney. We spent a week in Orlando waiting for the ICPC and had a blast. Here is one of our first pictures as a family.
So that is the story to Chunk-A, HAPPY ADOPTION DAY my big boy, sleeping in a big boy bed, singing Jingle Bells and BOOTS song, and "no-ah" for yes, you make our days fun. You are still a great sleeper and eater and we are so glad that God chose us to be your parents and made us family.

2 comments:

bonnie said...

Kristi and "Computer geek"
Oh how loved you and your gang are by so many. It has been such a blessing to watch your boys grow. I receive great joy when listening to T-Monster recite verses, cuddling with Chunk-A or rocking sweet Little Stray Puppy. What an awesome blog to illustrate an awesome family!! Love, Miz Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Happy adoption day Chunk-A! You are so fun to be with.
Blessings,
Dawn